Is Elderberry an Immune Support Superhero?
If you’re like me, you keep hearing people talk about taking elderberry supplements and making elderberry-infused snacks. It seems to be the kale of the new decade. So that got me thinking, what is all the rage about and should I jump on this bandwagon too?
Well, it turns out there is quite a bit of truth to the health benefits of elderberry supplements. Take a look at some of the ways I’ve discovered that you can benefit from elderberry…
1. It may help to fight colds and the flu – Now more than ever, we’re all trying to keep our immune systems strong. Between Covid and the regular cold and flu season, adding a little immune boosting supplement might not be such a bad idea.
One study published by the U.S. National Library of Medicine found that participants who consumed elderberry syrup felt relief from their flu symptoms four days earlier on average than those who received a placebo.
2. It could improve heart health & lower the risk of diabetes – Because elderberries are rich in three types of flavanols — naturally occurring compounds in plants with antioxidant properties — they may help to improve heart health. According to UPMC HealthBeat, research has also shown elderberries can reduce fat levels in the blood, lower cholesterol, and improve blood sugar levels. Those are all benefits that I’m on board with!
3. May Help Depression and Fatigue – This past year has been tough on everyone’s mental health. Not to mention, fatigue can affect all of us on a daily basis. However, since elderberry contains many B vitamins including: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9 (folate), as well as Iron and Magnesium these vitamins play a significant role in boosting mood and providing energy. “Yes, please!”
4. Could Protect against UV Radiation – Now, don’t stop wearing your sunscreen just because you took your elderberry supplement this morning but according to Healthline.com, a skin product containing elderberry extract was found to have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 9.88. “Ok, I’ll take an extra 9+ SPF, thank you very much”.
5. Reduces Inflammation – Because elderberries are high in antioxidants, they’ve been shown to reduce inflammation. The anthocyanins found in the berries have as much as 3.5 times the antioxidant power of vitamin E, according to an article on Healthline.com. Additionally, one study found that antioxidant status improved in people just one hour after drinking 400 ml of elderberry juice. “Those are some speedy results, if you ask me”.
The list goes on! With as many benefits as there appear to be, elderberry does seem to be an excellent supplement. It’s one that I don’t mind adding to my daily routine, especially since it tastes pretty great too! With options like Elderberry Gummies or elderberry syrups, you can’t really ask for more. When it comes to health and immunity, sign me up for some elderberry supplements!